Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"Jesus On Every Page" by David Murray

At an award ceremony during the final days of my high school career I was asked what I wanted to do with my life.  "I want to preach!" was my confident response.  The father of another student who over heard my answer pulled me aside and exhorted me to always preach the Cross!  I understood the importance of Jesus death, burial, and resurrection but what did it mean to always preach the Cross?  Then I stumbled across Charles H. Spurgeon, the Prince of Preachers, who stated, "I take my text and make a beeline to the cross!"  That was all well and good but something still didn't click.  Finding Jesus in the New Testament was simple but how about in the Old?  How do you discover Jesus in the Old Testament Law or the Covenants?  How about in the Psalms or Proverbs?  Or any other part of the Old Testament for that matter?

In his new book, "Jesus On Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament," David Murray does a very good job of laying out a clear and easy approach to finding Jesus on every page of the Bible, specifically in the Old Testament.  (Where was this book when I needed it?)  I found this book to be extremely helpful and it will be one that I go back to time and time again.  I especially appreciated the chapter dealing with Discovering Jesus in the Old Testament Law but all of it was great!  Given that I'm in Italy, I ended up with a digital copy for this review but will be looking to pick up a physical copy soon so that I can have it to highlight and mark up.  This book would be beneficial for any Christian but I would specifically urge anyone in ministry, and especially those in pulpit ministry, to read this book!  It will not be a waste of your time or money!  

For a limited time if you buy the book David Murray is also offering over $100 worth of Old Testament resources absolutely free.  You can find the details and instructions on how to get these resources here



2 comments:

Keith said...

I like to say that there are "trajectories" in every text that lead you to Jesus and His gospel, even when the text is not "about" Jesus. I try to point these out in my Query the Text Series. Jonah, for example, makes us long for the True and Better Prophet who not only brings God's message but also (unlike Jonah) has a sacrificial love for the people. A "Christian" preaching of the OT should always find its way to the gospel.

Glad to see this review. Good job.

- K.J. Pugh

Caleb & Linda Klontz said...

You know I appreciate your series KJ! They have blessed me and others here! An Amen to your last line!

-Caleb